Frequently Asked Questions

1. Why are my treatment receipts not considered a medical expense for income tax purposes?

  • Currently, massage therapy is not a regulated health profession in the province of Saskatchewan.  Therefore the Canada Revenue Agency does not accept receipts for massage therapy treatments as a medical expense. We currently have the Massage Therapy Act in Saskatchewan and are working toward proclamation of the College.  Once we are regulated, massage therapy can be claimed on your income tax.

2. What does the designation RMT mean?

  • This is the abbreviation for Registered Massage Therapist.  

3. Do all massage therapists have to be members of MTAS?

  • There is no currently legal requirement for a therapist to have completed any massage therapy education or to become a member of any professional organization, in order to practice as a therapist.  Anyone can open a clinic and call themselves a massage therapist. 
  • Ensuring that your therapist is registered with MTAS provides you with the security of knowing that the therapist providing your massage treatments operates under strict Standards of Practice and a professional Code of Ethics and is accountable to a disciplinary committee.
  • All practicing MTAS members in good standing are required to carry at least $3 million professional and general liability insurance coverage. This ensures that the therapist is covered for both errors in their practice and general liabilities, such as equipment failure or office space hazards.
  • The MTAS membership number is an important piece of information necessary for reimbursement by health insurance providers. It is important to note that ALL third-party insurance companies in Canada recognize MTAS membership numbers. Ensure that this number along with the MTAS member’s name is legible on your receipt.

4. Do massage therapists specialize in different treatment types?

  • Most therapists take additional training in specific modalities after completion of their core training programs. Post-graduate training can be obtained in a number of areas such as myofascial release, craniosacral therapy, sports massage, infant massage, pregnancy massage, deep tissue massage etc.  Please refer to our Find a Therapist section for a listing of MTAS members in your area and the types of treatments they provide.

5. Should I ask a therapist for references?

  • A confident and experienced massage therapist should be comfortable providing references upon request.  They should also refer you to another practitioner if they are not confident that they are able to provide the treatment you require.

6. How much education should a therapist have?

  • In Saskatchewan, massage therapy educational programs from the four private vocational schools are all at least 2,200 hours in length. The accepted national standard for this education is a minimum of 2,200 hours.  All MTAS members are required to complete this minimum as well as master the Member Qualifying Examination, which is based on a comprehensive set of core competencies.
  • Many continuing education opportunities exist, and the MTAS Bylaws require that members complete at least 40 hours of continuing education every three years.  This ensures that therapists remain current in their profession.