Frequently Asked Questions
How to become a member of MTAS
STUDENTS OF MASSAGE THERAPY
Must be enrolled in a minimum 2,200 hour MT diploma program at a recognized educational institution.
For first and second year students there is no charge to become a member.
** Note that student members are not issued a registration number, and are not eligible for the reduced rate liability/malpractice insurance offered through BFL Canada.
Click here for the 2024 Student Membership Application Form.
Click here to read the FAQ brochure for students
Click here to read the Position Statement on Students Practicing prior to Graduation
NEWLY GRADUATED THERAPISTS AND PRACTICING THERAPISTS FROM UNREGULATED JURISDICTIONS
- Must have a minimum of 2,200 hours of massage therapy education from an accredited educational institute.
- Must pass the Member Qualifying Examination (see Qualifying Examination FAQ for more details).
- Apply to join MTAS - complete the MTAS membership application form and submit your annual fees. (Please contact the MTAS office to receive a copy of the correct application form - fees are prorated according to the month in which you become a member.)
- Purchase liability and malpractice insurance (we have a negotiated rate schedule with BFL Canada, that is prorated according to the month in which you start your policy).
THERAPISTS FROM REGULATED JURISDICTIONS
You may join the MTAS without writing our Member Qualifying Examination if you have written and mastered the entry to practice or Board Examination in another province that is affiliated with Canadian Massage Therapist Association (CMTA), or are a member of the College in a legislated province (British Columbia, Ontario, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island or Newfoundland/Labrador).
Complete the MTAS membership application form and submit your annual fees, along with the documents noted below. Also include proof of any continuing education you have completed.
1. Copy of your diploma or transcript from a minimum 2,200 hour MT program.
2. Proof of having passed the CMTBC or CMTO Board Exam.
3. Letter of good standing from your current Association.
4. Clean criminal record check and vulnerable sector search (completed within the last 6 months).
5. Copy of current CPR level C plus standard first aid certificate.
6. Proof of at least $2m liability and malpractice insurance – a current Canadian policy is just fine until it expires. We have a negotiated rate for a $3M policy with BFL Canada/Trisura – their application form is attached here.
Subsequent renewals will be done online via your profile on our website.
If you qualify for membership, we invite you to contact the MTAS office to receive a registration application form, or download the form here. Fees are prorated according to the month in which you join.
Tel: 306-384-7077 or firstname.lastname@example.org
1. What are the benefits of becoming a member of MTAS?
- Strong provincial organization with over 830 therapists.
- Exclusive contracts with WCB and SGI and recognition by all other third party insurers.
- Members' preferred rates for liability and malpractice insurance through Dusyk & Barlow Insurance Brokers in Regina.
- Members' preferred rates for third-party health and dental benefits.
- Members-only continuing education workshops/events.
- Complimentary listing in the Find a Therapist search feature - enables members of the public to locate your clinic.
- Exclusive “members-only” section of the Association website. Contains lots of information about being a member – including a searchable Continuing Education database of approved courses, links to other Associations, useful business forms, Bylaws, Standards of Practice, etc. Requires a username and password to access this part of the site.
- Small lending library of textbooks and videos (no DVD or Blu Ray).
- Free access to SHIRP's (Saskatchewan Health Information Resource Partnership) on-line library of heath care research literature.
- Free access to ProCentral - Your 24/7 Partner in Practice massive library of online resources.
2. When are my membership fees due?
- The membership year runs from November 1st to October 31st.
- Annual membership fees are due at the same time every year - October 31st. Grace is given until December 1st, with no penalty.
- Late fees of $90.00 + GST per month (or part) apply after December 1st.
- If you have not renewed by December 30th, your name will be removed from the MTAS register and you will no longer be a member in good standing.
3. How much are the membership fees?
- Practicing or non-resident practicing member - $430.00.
- Non-practicing member - $215.00.
- Honourary member - no charge.
- Auxiliary member - $107.50.
** There is no tax on membership fees.
The renewal deadline for fees in full or the initial payment on a split-payment plan is November 30th. After that date, late fees of $90 + GST per month or part thereof are automatically added to your account.
Split-payment plan options (for practicing membership only):
- Two-payment plan - total cost $461.50. First payment $200.00 by October 31st, 2023; second payment $261.50 by January 31st, 2024 ($230.00 membership + $30.00 admin fee + $1.50 GST).
- Three-payment plan - total cost $493.00. First payment $150.00 by October 31st, 2023; second payment $171.50 by January 31st, 2024 ($140 membership + $30 admin fee + $1.50 GST); third payment $171.50 by April 30th, 2024 ($140 membership + $30 admin fee + $1.50 GST).
REMINDER: THE EMAIL ADDRESS FOR E-TRANSFERS is email@example.com. It must be a direct or automatic deposit, no security question or password.
4. How can I become an honourary life member of MTAS?
There is a nomination/application process - the form can be downloaded here.
5. May I have an additional certificate for my secondary practice location, or to replace a lost/damaged certificate?
Yes, of course - there is an administration fee of $30.00 + GST.
6. What notification does MTAS require when I change my home or business contact information?
- Please update your personal profile on the website by logging into the members'-only section using your username and password. If you have forgotten this information, please contact the MTAS office and we will reset your website access.
- Alternately, send us an e-mail or leave a phone message with the new information, and we will update the information for you. You should do this within 30 days of the change.
7. What do I have to do to change my name with MTAS?
- Send us an e-mail with your new and previous names, including the date the change will be effective, and we will update your file. We keep your previous name on file as a historical record.
8. Do I have to maintain current CPR and Standard First Aid if I am already a member?
- Yes, it is mandatory for all practicing members to maintain current CPR level C and Standard First Aid Certification. This is required for our contracts with SGI and WCB. Please upload your new certificate and add the credits to your profile on the website immediately upon completion in order that your file remains current at all times.
9. Am I required to collect GST?
- Only if your net business income is over $30,000 a year. Please refer to the Canada Revenue Agency for more information on your legal obligations in this regard.
10. What information should be included on my receipts?
- Your full name, clinic name and address, your MTAS registration number and your signature. Also the date of treatment, client's name and a description of the treatment provided and the amount paid.
- We recommend that you purchase a stamp with your clinic, name and MTAS number, for clarity, or use the standard receipt template. Click here to download.
11. I've decided that I no longer wish to remain a member of MTAS. What do I need to do?
- Send us notification by e-mail so that we have a written record for your membership file. Except in the case of the death of a member, no refunds on membership fees will be issued if membership is cancelled part-way through the membership year.
12. Is there a way for me to advertise a job posting or item/business for sale?
There are two opportunities for advertising with MTAS:
- E-mail notice - send us an e-mail with your exact ad text. This will usually go out the day of receipt, or the next business day.
- Website - send us an e-mail with your exact ad text. This will usually be posted the day of receipt, or the next business day. Website ads run for two months from the date of posting.
- The rate sheet for our advertising services is here.
13. Why is my information not listed in the "Find a Therapist" search tool?
- If you have requested on the membership renewal form that your information is NOT publicly listed, then your contact information does not appear on the list. To change your listing status, please contact the MTAS office and we will update your file.
14. How do I get a provider billing number for SGI and/or WCB?
- Click here to download the document with contact information for these organizations and others with which you may wish to set up a billing number.
15. How to I update my personal profile on the Find a Therapist section of the website?
- After you log in with your username and password at the Members section on the home page, scroll down to the section that says “Your Profile - Keep track of your information including Con-Ed credits”. When you click on the orange writing it takes you right into your personal profile page.
- Click the “Edit” button, and it opens up all the fields you can change. The education part is at the bottom of the page. There are 2 boxes side-by-side – the left hand box contains the list of available courses you can select, the right hand box is empty. Use the arrow keys between the boxes to move the courses over from one side to the other. Do the same with the special services.
- Don’t forget to hit “Save” when you are done, otherwise your changes will not take effect.
- Once you have made changes, the system will flag the office computer so that we can approve the changes. They will then show up in the Find a Therapist tool.