Frequently Asked Questions

Becoming A Member Questions

What do I need to do to become a member of MTAS?


  1. You must have a minimum of 2,200 hours of massage therapy education from an accredited educational institute.
  2. You must write and pass the Board Examination (see Board Examination FAQs for more details).
  3. Apply to join MTAS - complete the required membership application form and submit your annual fees.


  1. If you have written and mastered the Board Examination in another province that is affiliated with CMTA (Canadian Massage Therapist Alliance), or are a member of the College in a legislated province (British Columbia, Ontario or Newfoundland/Labrador), we require a letter of good standing from the College. 
  2. Complete the membership application form and submit your annual fees, along with a copy of your current CPR level C and Standard First Aid certificate, a copy of your malpractice and liability insurance certificate and a copy of your school transcript or diploma.  Also include proof of any continuing education you have completed.

What are the benefits of becoming a member of MTAS?

  1. Strong provincial organization with over 830 therapists.
  2. Exclusive contracts with WCB and SGI and recognition from other third party insurers.
  3. Exclusive permission (in Saskatchewan) to use the designation RMT or Registered Massage Therapist.
  4. Members' preferred rates for liability and malpractice insurance through Dusyk & Barlow Insurance Brokers in Regina.
  5. Members' preferred rates for accident insurance through Dusyk & Barlow in Regina (download the brochure here.)
  6. Members-only con-ed workshops/events.
  7. Free subscription to the on-line magazine, otherwise known as
  8. Promotional brochures and posters available at cost.
  9. Complimentary listing in the Find a Therapist search feature - enables members of the public to locate your clinic.
  10. Complimentary subscription to the Association magazines from both BC and Ontario.
  11. Exclusive “members-only” section of the Association website.  Contains lots of information about being a member – including a searchable Continuing Education database of approved courses, links to other Associations, useful business forms, Bylaws, Standards of Practice, etc.  Requires a username and password to access this part of the site.
  12. lSmall lending library of books and videos (no DVD or BluRay).
  13. Free access to SHIRP's (Saskatchewan Health Information Resource Partnership) on-line library of heath care reserach literature.

When are my membership fees due?

The membership year runs from November 1st to October 31st.
Annual membership fees are due at the same time every year - October 31st.  Grace is given until December 1st, with no penalty.  Late fees of $50.00 + GST per month apply after December 1st - no exceptions. 
If you have not renewed by December 15th, your name will be removed from the MTAS register and you will no longer be a member in good standing.

How much are the membership fees?

2013-2014 Year:
Practicing or non-resident practicing member - $355.00.
Non-practicing member - $177.50.
Honourary member - no charge.
Education/instructor member - $88.75.
Second year student member - $35.00.

There is no tax on membership fees.

How can I become an honourary practicing life member of MTAS?

There is an application process.  The application form can be downloaded here.

Can I have an additional certificate for my secondary practice location, or to replace a lost/damaged certificate?

Yes, however there is an adminstration fee of $25.00 + GST.

What notification does MTAS require when I change my home or business contact information?

You can update your personal profile on the website using your username and password.  If you have forgotten this information, please contact the MTAS office and we will reset your website access.
Alternately, send us an e-mail or fax, or leave a phone message, and we will update the information for you.
You should do this within 30 days of the change.

What do I have to do go change my name with MTAS?

Send us an e-mail or a fax with your new and old names, including the date the change will be effective, and we will update your file.

Do I have to maintain current CPR and Standard First Aid if I am already a member?

Yes, it is mandatory for all practicing members to maintain current CPR level C and Standard First Aid Certification.  This is required for our contracts with SGI and WCB.  Please submit your new certificate to the office immediately upon completion in order that your file remains current at all times.

Am I required to collect GST?

Only if your net business income is over $30,000 a year.  Please refer to the Canada Revenue Agency for more information on your legal obligations in this regard.

What information should be included on my receipts?

Your full name, clinic name and address, your MTAS registration number and your signature.  Also the date of treatment, client's name and a description of the treatment provided and the amount paid.
We recommend that you purchase a rubber stamp with your clinic, name and MTAS number, for clarity.

I've decided that I no longer wish to remain a member of MTAS.  What do I need to do?

Send us notification by e-mail, fax or mail so that we have a written record for your membership file.
Except in the case of the death of a member, no refunds on membership fees will be issued if membership is cancelled part-way through the membership year.

How often is the Reach Bulletin (newsletter) published?

Twice each year - February and August.

Is there a way for me to advertise a job posting or item/business for sale?

There are two opportunities for advertising with MTAS:

  1. E-mail notice - send us an e-mail with your exact ad text.  This will usually go out the day of receipt, or the next business day. 
  2. Website - send us an e-mail with your exact ad text.  This will usually be posted the day of receipt, or the next business day.  Website ads run for one month from the date of posting.

The rate sheet for our advertising services is here.

Why is my information not listed in the "Find a Therapist" search tool?

If you have requested on the membership renewal form that your information is NOT publically listed, then your contact information does not appear on the list.  To change your listing status, please contact the MTAS office by phone, e-mail or fax and we will update your file.

How do I get a billing number for SGI and/or WCB?

Click here to download the document with contact information for these organizations and others with which you may wish to set up a billing number.

How to I update my personal profile on the Find a Therapist section of the website?

After you log in with your username and password at the Members Only area on the home page, scroll down to the section that says “Your Profile - Keep track of your information including Con-Ed credits”.  When you click on the orange writing it takes you right into your personal profile page. Click the “Edit” button, and it opens up all the fields you can change.  The education part is at the bottom of the page.  There are 2 boxes side-by-side – the left hand box contains the list of available courses you can select, the right hand box is empty.  Use the arrow keys between the boxes to move the courses over from one side to the other.  Do the same with the special services.  Don’t forget to hit “Save” when you are done, otherwise your changes will not take effect.  Once you have made changes, the system will flag the office computer so that we can approve the changes.  They will then show up in the Find a Therapist tool.